skip to Main Content

Do You Need a RWC to Sell?

You probably know that you will need to get a workshop based or mobile roadworthy certificate when you sell a car, but what you may not realise is that there are some situations where you actually don’t need one. However, you should make absolutely certain that your vehicle or situation is exempt before transferring a vehicle from one person to another…if you are wrong, it could cost you up to $550 in fines.

One of the exemptions, when it comes to a workshop or mobile roadworthy certificate, is that unregistered vehicles that are traded between licensed motor dealers don’t need one. This means that cars that are transferred for parts or for other reasons will not need to go through a safety inspection.

Another reason that you may not need a roadworthy certificate is if you are living in an area that Queensland Transport has named as exempt or if you live in a remote area. In order to find out if you qualify for this, you should contact Queensland Transport or an authorised workshop in your area.

Finally, if you are transferring your vehicle between spouses, even those that are separated, or the new owner is the beneficiary of an estate and the old owner passed away, you will be exempt from getting a roadworthy certificate.

In any other situation, you will need to go through the process of getting a roadworthy certificate. Contact a local workshop to schedule an appointment. Don’t forget, if time or convenience is a concern, choose a workshop with mobile services for the easiest way to go about this process.

Back To Top